What is Yerba Mate? Ilex paraguariensis is an evergreen shrub native to South America. Yerba mate (mate leaf) is a herbal tea with a slightly bitter/smoky flavour, popular in Brazil, Paraguay, and Argentina.
The mate plant has been used been indigenous tribes for centuries. It was cultivated by the Guarani and Tupi people who called it the ‘Drink of the Gods.’ It is known for its natural energising, rejuvenating and nutritional properties. In the 1960s, studies by the Pasteur Institute and the Paris Scientific Society concluded that mate contains ‘practically all of the vitamins necessary to sustain life.’ It is widely believed to have a superior nutritional content to green tea.
A 2014 study at Sheffield University published in Nutrition & Metabolism found that Mate boosted fatty acid oxidisation by 24%.
- Mate contains 196 phytochemicals, 144 of which are shared with green tea.
- It is rich in phytonutrients – including 11 polyphenols, and rare saponins.
- Contains: 24 vitamins and minerals, 15 amino acids.
- Excellent source of Pantothenic Acid.
- Mate has a lower caffeine and theophylline content, yet is high in theobromine. This means it is naturally energising without the adverse effects associated with coffee.
Cautions Contains Caffeine. Do not take if you are pregnant or breast-feeding. Consult your doctor if you have high blood pressure, a cardiac disorder, or diabetes.
- Yerba Mate Powder – Ilex paraguariensis. Produce of Brazil.
- 100% Pure Botanicals – no fillers, no bulking agents, no artificial ingredients, or preservatives.
- Supplied in a heat-sealed foil pouch for freshness and security.
- Made from PET/AL/LLDPE to provide high barrier protection against light, moisture and oxygen for extended life.
- Re-sealable for safe storage.