Cacao, or Cocoa, is an evergreen tree, which grows naturally in tropical climates around the world. Its fruit, the Cacao bean, is well-known as the basic ingredient in chocolate. It has for centuries been central to diets in its native areas. In recent times it has attracted attention because of its nutritional richness and the health benefits associated with its antioxidant content. Sevenhills Wholefoods Cacao is grown in Peru. Its seed pods are harvested by hand. They are broken apart and left until the soft flesh surrounding the bean has fermented and run off as liquid. The fermentation process affects the taste of the beans, which lose some bitter flavours. The beans are washed, cleaned and dried. They are then peeled and broken into small pieces (nibs). The nibs are pressed to extract the fat content, which is known as Cacao butter. The resulting ‘cake’ is milled to a fine powder. As our Cacao powder may be exposed to temperature over 42 degrees centigrade during processing we don’t market it as raw. Our Cacao powder is packaged in the UK.
Why buy from Sevenhills Wholefoods? Sevenhills Wholefoods only sells superfoods of the highest quality. We source directly from producers, so we’re always in touch with where our products are grown and processed. Our direct supply line and online-only availability, mean that our customers benefit from the best possible prices. We like to think of ourself as a virtual farmer’s market for superfoods, a no-frills way of buying great foods at the best prices.
Ingredients: Organic Cacao powder, certified by the Soil Association (GB-ORG-005) and registered by the Vegan society
- Powder from finely ground premium organic Cacao or Cocoa beans from South America
- A versatile food that can be added to many foods, used as a baking ingredient, or made into a drinks
- Cacao has a high nutritional content, known to have more than 300 health promoting compounds
- 100% pure, UK Soil Association certified Organic, Vegan Society registered, Free from allergens, gluten & dairy
- Note: packaging may vary due to launch of new design, but contents remain the same.